Right-hander Carlos Carrasco was one of several headlining offseason additions for the Mets, who acquired him from Cleveland as part of the teams’ Francisco Lindor trade. Unfortunately for Carrasco and New York, though, he hasn’t been able to contribute at all because of a torn right hamstring he suffered in mid-March. Three months later, Carrasco’s Mets debut still isn’t imminent.
Manager Luis Rojas told Anthony DiComo of MLB.com and other reporters on Wednesday that Carrasco is no longer throwing off the slope of the mound – which he was doing last week. While Rojas said “[t]here is no reinjury or anything like that,” he added that Carrasco needs “more strength in that hamstring before we ramp up his baseball progression.”
There’s no timetable for Carrasco’s return, Tim Healey of Newsday tweets, which is a tough blow for a Mets team that on May 27 shut down rehabbing starter Noah Syndergaard for six weeks because of his elbow. Both Carrasco and Syndergaard were supposed to be key complements to ace Jacob deGrom this year, but the club has instead relied on Marcus Stroman and Taijuan Walker in those roles. Stroman and Walker have been terrific, though the Mets’ rotation could use reinforcements after their top three. After all, David Peterson has gone through a difficult year after a promising rookie effort in 2020, while Joey Lucchesi has a 5.79 ERA and hasn’t lasted more than 4 2/3 frames in any of his outings.
If the Mets aren’t able to count on Carrasco or Syndergaard, it could lead them to make other rotation plans leading up to the July 30 trade deadline. The Mets are in first place by 2 1/2 games in the National League East, so they’re lining up as buyers right now.